“An apple a day keeps the doctor away”. Sound familiar? Yes, I believe this is the most familiar quote in health industry ever. But why? What is actually makes apple so special? Why we never heard about “an orange, mango, banana or strawberry a day keeps the doctor away”? Is apple really promote excellent health to us?
Apple is a fruit that containing various types of health properties where no other fruits is having them individually. It is quick and simple to obtain vitamins and minerals that we need from apple compare with other fruits. Other fruits, we need to consume more variety to obtain the nutrients provide by apple. Therefore, it is not hard to understand that why after so many years since the first printed proverb “Eat an apple on going to bed, and you’ll keep the doctor from earning his bread” in a “Notes and Queries” in year 1866, this term is still popular and famous among people.
Health Benefits of an Apple:
- Fiber in apple helps to regulate the bowel movements and thus helps to decrease the risk of colon cancer.
- Rich is antioxidant compounds.
- Containing Vitamin C that is important for immune system. To live healthier, we must build our body’s immune system stronger to defense against the attack from foreign invaders such as bacterial, virus and germs. Vitamin C also helps in wound healing, maintains healthier gums and reduces risk of cardiovascular disease and strokes.
- Prevent cancers. Research shown that regular consumption of apple may lower the risk of getting colon cancer, lung cancer and prostate cancer.
- Weight loss. Only about 95 calories in one apple and it is zero in fat & cholesterol. Apple only containing very little sodium and this made apple become an ideal low calorie snack when a craving strikes.
- Control cholesterol. Fiber in apple helps to lower the cholesterol level by preventing cholesterol reabsorption. However, apple does not reduce the absorption of good cholesterol. Phenols in apple prevent the LDL cholesterol to turn into oxidized LDL which is a very hazardous form of bad cholesterol which can be caused death.
- Promoting healthier tooth. Apple juice helps to prevent tooth decay by killing up to 80% of bacterial inside our mouth.
- Apple found abundance of Boron that supports strong bones and a healthy brain.
- Apple is rich in many types of phytonutrient including vitamin A, vitamin E and beta carotene. These nutrients are able to regulate blood sugar and fight against free radicals from damage our cells.
Apple is good for health and cheap in price.